Thursday 1 April 2010

Double Page Spread (written)

Beatnik & Bohemian. The teenagers taking the UK by storm. Written by Louise Linehan.

Felix Duke (19) and Willow Lawson (17) make up the duo Empirical and whether you love or hate folk/indie music, it is an undeniable truth that when the twosome is present, your eyes will be fixated solely on them. Their mesmerising presence and unpredictable, devil-may-care attitudes have the nation gripped and, despite criticisms the pair received when they first came onto the scene, they are now fast becoming Britain’s number one duo, overtaking the likes of Empire of the sun and MGMT. Described by music critics a vision of beatnik, hippy youths, the pair are already running rings around some of Britain’s best acts, equipped with only a guitar, tambourine and accordion. Their hallucinogenic music depicts the duo’s creative natures entirely, as does their self directed video’s which provide a perfect, psychedelic backdrop. The group tell SOLE about their inspirations, how they came to be where they are now and somewhat hazily, predict their futures in the business.



F.D: ‘It’s a bit surreal actually; we were at an illegal field party last summer when we were sort of... I hate to use the word “discovered”... it sounds soo pretentious. But, yeah, I spose that’s the only way to describe it. We had a few random instruments around and, to be honest it’s not all that clear in my memory– ha... But.. umm yeah, Willow and me were just tinkering around with an accordion and a banjo when our now manager David Jackson happened to be walking past with his dog. It was funny – everyone got sh*t scared, thinking it was the police at first or something, and a lot of them legged it. Willow and me carried on playing, like, completely ignorant to everything – ha-ha. After we’d stopped, David approached us saying that he liked our style. We took his number and the rest is pretty much history.’

Question the pair on their careers, personalities and ideologies and you receive vast extremes of answers. Willow sits in the corner plaiting a strand of hair, rarely contributing, seemingly in her own little world, while Felix dominates the conversation. The pair are wearing shabby jeans and have an unkempt look about them.


Who are your biggest inspirations?

F.D: ‘Personally, I’ve always listened to traditional music like my parents have always bought me up listening to Irish folk music which I think are just the most beautiful sounds I’ve heard in my life... I dunno about Willow.’ At this point the young songstress looks up wide eyed. She speaks in a tiny voice, light-years away from the compelling tones she produces on the duo’s album ‘Being.’

W.L: ‘Umm... I don’t listen to a specific style of music but I’d say my biggest inspiration is definitely Cleo Laine, and other older female artists with the most passionate voices. I think it’s really important to evoke emotion into the song. I can’t physically sing something very well if I can’t feel or, like, relate to the lyrics I’m singing-‘

F.D: ‘Yeah and that’s why we really consider what we write and that’s why it really pis- sorry ha – annoys us when we get criticised for being pompous or conceited in some way, or when people assume our lyrics are just the result of an acid trip or something, just because of our image or music style.’

So you have never used narcotics when writing lyrics?

W.L: ‘Felix is the most likely to – ha ohh look he’s not happy! Sorry to just contradict you like that dude! Ha-ha. No we don’t usually, I mean it’s not what defines us, but sometimes it just helps us to get into the right mind set – not that I’m condoning it. Kid’s don’t listen to us we’re bad people ha-ha!’


The lyrics to ‘Empirical’ songs are highly ambiguous and poetic like, with magical settings and supernatural tales that wouldn’t seem out of place if heard as a fable from the eighteen hundreds, telling tales of mythical creatures like mermaids, centaurs and angels etc.


F.D: ‘We get a lot of our ideas from real life and the characters in our songs are based on people we know. It’s surprising how easy it is to translate everyday life into something so easily and make it so sort of, abnormal and surreal. It’s a good way of venting too, cause no one has to know that it’s about them. Ha-ha.’

How are you guys finding fame? You’re still so young! Is it harder than you expected?


F.D: ‘Nah not really, we have a good team of people. I’m loving it at the moment. I can see it getting a bit irritating soon, but for the meantime we’re just gonna make the most of it!’


Do you think you’ll end up making a second album? Can you see yourself staying in the business?

W.L: ‘I dunno, I mean who knows what the future holds? It’s inevitable that we will carry on with music but unpredictable whether we’ll stay on the radio or TV or in the papers or whatever. I’m not all that concerned with mainstream things, so fame isn’t a priority for me. So, yeah... who knows?’

No comments:

Post a Comment