Thursday 1 April 2010

Style of music for my music magazine

I originally intended to create an indie magazine, however i realised that there was a lot of competition for this type of magazine already and I really wanted to create something different and unique to represent the individuality of my readers. I chose to focus on the folk/indie/soul styles of music as I felt these were taken more seriously by their creators than that of mainstream pop music. From my survey question:








I understood that a mix of already popular bands/artists and new/upcoming artists were equally rated as 7 people voted for new/upcoming bands and 5 people voted for already popular bands/artists and only 1 person chose obscure bands/artists. From this information I decided that my band/artists that was fronting my music magazine/interview should be a new/upcoming band as well as the other artists mentioned - with a mixed ratio of new : already established/popular.


To find out what else to include in my music magazine i researched folk/indie/soul music and also read a number of interviews with bands of these genres such as:

interview with MGMT:
http://www.interviewmagazine.com/music/mgmt/3/

interview with Mumford & sons


interview with Empire of the sun




from these interviews i got a sense of how my artists could answer questions/react to portray their genre of music and the type of people in that genre/how they act. I understood that these people came across as being more normal/down to earth than people are lead to believe through how they are portrayed/depicted in the media. I understood how to write their answers so that the audience get a sense of who they are/what they stand for, the reason being that  people can relate to them more.

The definition i obtained from wikipedia of soul music is:

Soul music is a music genre originating in the United States combining elements of gospel music and rhythm and blues.

I felt that this was relevant to my music magazine as I wanted my music magazine to portray the artist/bands to take their music seriously and for it to be a form of creativity/to experiment which appealed to my key demographic. When researching into 'rhythm and blues' i found that this music orignated from black slaves as they vented their feelings and emotions into their music, similar to a form of therapy, which gave them pleasure in such tragic situations. I felt that this was precisely what i wanted to portray through my music magazine: that music is creative and inspirational.

No comments:

Post a Comment